1. Virginia Tech-Georgia Tech has replaced FSU-Miami as the best rivalry in the ACC. The two are the only two teams to ever win the Coastal Division and have won the last three ACC Championships.
2. Once again third down killed Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets were only 5 for 13 on third down. The defense allowed 6 for 12.
3. Joshua Nesbitt's career is very likely over. The Senior suffered a broken arm in a tackle attempt after his second quarter interception. It looked very harmless on TV but obviously wasn't.
4. Tevin Washington looked better than I thought he would. He ran the option well at times. The sophomore made some nice throws too. He just needed some better hands from his receivers, especially #5.
5. Beamer Ball won another game. The Hokies special teams have not been as good in recent years, but they got a play when they needed one with David Wilson's 90 yard game winning kickoff return for a TD. Georgia Tech's offense and defense is just not talented enough this year to overcome a play like that.
6. I don't question going for it, but I do question having your fourth string B-back running the ball on 4th and 2. Anthony Allen was obviously getting a blow so I would go to my next best option which is Roddy Jones or Orwin Smith. If Georgia Tech makes that first down maybe they can go down and score to take a 21-7 lead, but they didn't and Virginia Tech used the good field position to tie the game at 14-14.
7. Georgia Tech's defense played better. They looked like they understood the schemes better. This unit still needs more experience and talent, but tonight was a step forward. The key is build on Thursday and not regress.
8. Give Virginia Tech's offensive staff some credit. They didn't panic when they got down 14-0. They stuck to their game plan knowing they were moving the ball and just missing one key play to extend drives.
9. The big prize of repeating as ACC Champions is gone for Georgia Tech, but the Jackets still have much to play for. Finishing the season at 8-4 sounds much better than 6-6 (or gasp 5-7). The 14 year bowl streak is also on the line as is gaining revenge on Miami and Georgia for losses last year, just like Virginia Tech did on Thursday.
10. Barring a major collapse, Virginia Tech will win its third Coastal Division title in four years. The Hokies still have to play Miami and North Carolina on the road, but just one win against the two would very likely result in a trip to Charlotte. The only thing that could stop the Hokies is a major upset at the hands of in state rival Virginia.